喜怒哀乐
作者:
李文昊 更新:2021-10-10 10:56 字数:18977
02 喜怒哀乐
你快乐吗?
dialogue
mike is very happy today. why?
麦克今天特别高兴。发生什么事了?
kelly: mike, why are you so happy today?
凯利:迈克,你今天为什么这么高兴?
mike: tell you a good news. i have just won the gold medal in the long-distance running of our company competition.
迈克:告诉你一个好消息。我刚赢得了公司长跑比赛的金牌。
kelly: wow, congratulations to you! you are great.
凯利:喔,恭喜你啊!你真棒。
mike: more of it. i was chosen to represent the company to attend the sports meeting held by our city.
迈克:还有呢。我被选中代表公司参加我们市举办的运动会。
kelly: are you ready for it?
凯利:你准备好了吗?
mike: yes, i'm always ready. i'm good at running very much.
迈克:是的,我一直准备着呢。我很擅长跑步。
kelly: do you often exercise? i have never seen you running.
凯利:你经常锻炼吗?我从没有见你跑过步。
mike: i always do exercise after work. i keep running every day to beat the laziness within myself and make me healthier. i attended our company sports meeting just for a try. i had never thought that i could win the medal so easily.
迈克:我总是下班后去锻炼。我通过每天坚持跑步来击败自身的懒惰,并让自己更健康。我抱着试试的态度参加了公司的运动会,没有想到这么容易就赢得金牌。
kelly: your success comes from your persistence. you deserve to win the medal.
凯利:你的成功来自于坚持不懈。金牌是你应得的。
mike: thank you. i really have many unexpected gains through running.
迈克:谢谢。通过跑步,我确实得到了很多意想不到的收获。
kelly: i want to join your exercise from tomorrow, ok?
凯利:从明天起我想加入你的锻炼,可以吗?
mike: of course, i'm only too pleased with your company.
迈克:当然。有你的陪伴我再高兴不过了。
notes
1. medal [?med?l] n. 奖章,奖牌
2. gold medal 金牌
3. represent [?repri?zent] v. 表现,描绘;代表,象征,表示;作为代表
4. congratulation [k?n?gr?tju?lei??n] n. 祝贺,恭喜;贺词
5. attend [??tend] v. 参加,出席;照顾,照料
6. laziness [?leizinis] n. 懒惰,偷懒
7. persistence [p??sist?ns] n. 坚持不懈,持续
小贴士
1. on cloud nine 高兴得找不着北,高兴得走路轻飘飘
i've been on cloud nine all day long, because susan accepted my proposal this noon.
苏珊中午答应了我的求婚,我一整天都高兴得找不着北了。
2. feel like a million dollars 感觉好极了
i feel like a million dollars because i was told that i have passed the interview.
我感觉好极了,因为我被告知面试通过了。
3. have the time of one's life 异常高兴
we had the time of our lives on vocation in paris.
我们在巴黎的度假非常愉快。
4. be pleased beyond description 喜不胜言
i was pleased beyond description that i won the first medal in the match.
在比赛中我得了一等奖,这让我喜不胜言。
5. be wild with joy, be ecstatic, be exuberant 欣喜若狂
i was ecstatic to hit the jackpot.
中了头彩,我真是欣喜若狂。
伤心是暂时的
dialogue
abby is crying for the misfortune of the poor child in the movie.
艾比因为电影里那个可怜孩子的命运伤心地哭了。
abby: the movie has pierced into my heart like a needle. the little child in the movie is so poor.
艾比:这个电影就像是一根针一样刺痛了我的心。电影里的小孩子太可怜了。
jack: don't cry, abby. you are too sensitive. it's just a story dramatized by the movie makers. it's not real.
杰克:不要哭了,艾比。你太多愁善感了。这只是编剧写出来的一个故事,不是真的。
abby: the movie reminded me of the misery in my own childhood. i have never seen my parents. i grew up with my grandma. life was hard at that time.
艾比:这电影让我回忆起了童年时的不幸。我从来没有见过自己的父母。我和奶奶一起长大。那时的生活很艰难。
jack: here's the napkin. wipe away the tears on your face.
杰克:给你纸巾,把脸上的泪擦一下。
abby: thank you.
艾比:谢谢。
jack: well, it was also a hardship when i was a child. but i think i have learned a lot from the misfortune.
杰克:我童年时的生活也很艰难。但是我觉得我从那段不幸经历中学到了很多东西。
abby: really?
艾比:真的吗?
jack: yes, everything has its two sides. the difficulty would make us stronger and braver.look at us. we have a comfortable life now. let the past be past.
杰克:是的,事物都有两面性。困境可以让我们更加坚强,更加勇敢。看看我们,现在生活多惬意。让过去就过去吧。
abby: it's really a great thinking. i will never burst into tears so easily.
艾比:这种想法真好。我以后不这么轻易掉眼泪了。
jack: that's right. there's more happiness in life.
杰克:这就对了。生活中还是快乐多一点。
notes
1. pierce [pi?s] v. 刺入,刺穿,穿透
2. needle [?ni:dl] n. 针,针状物
3. sensitive [?sensitiv] adj. 敏感的,多愁善感的;易受伤害的,易损坏的;易受影响的;神经质的;〈褒〉有细腻感情的,(指仪器等)灵敏的
4. dramatize ['dr?m?taiz] v. 将(小说或事件)改编成剧本,使戏剧化,夸张
5. misery ['miz?ri] n. 痛苦,苦恼,苦难,痛苦的事;不幸;常发牢骚的人
6. wipe [waip] v. 擦,拭,抹,擦去,拭去,抹去
7. wipe away 擦去,拭去;清除
8. burst [b?:st] v. 爆炸,爆裂;挤满,充满;突然打开
9. burst into tears 哭泣
小贴士
no one can be happy all the time. during times of tragedy, it is natural and even beneficial to be sad, but not to hold unhappy, anger or any negative emotion that takes control. we must heal ourselves emotionally and spiritually if we feel sad. you can have a talk with optimistic people for they bring a sense of hope into the world,and a new meaning to life. be with people when you're sad. it's also no use trying to drown your sorrows in drink.
没有人始终都保持着快乐。当身处灾难时,悲伤是自然的,也是有益处的。但不要让不愉快、愤怒或任何消极的情绪操控你的生活。如果感到伤心时,我们必须从情绪上和精神上治愈我们心灵上的创伤。你可以和积极乐观的人们聊聊天,因为他们带给世界一线希望,带给生活新的意义。切记伤心时不要独处,想借酒浇愁也于事无补。
莫生气
dialogue
niki seems very angry. what happened?
妮基看起来怒气冲冲的,怎么回事?
niki: lillian has already pissed me off. i can't bear her any more.
妮基:莉莲真是太让我生气了。我再也不能忍受她了。
ken: oh, just sit down on the sofa and cool down.
肯:噢,先坐在沙发上消消气。
niki: she lost her cell phone. but she doubted that i had stolen it. she even wanted to search my handbag this morning.
妮基:她手机丢了,但她怀疑是我偷的。今天早上居然想要搜我的手提包。
ken: you took out all the things in the handbag and showed them to her, and then you went out and slammed the door. is that right?
肯:你把你包里所有的东西都掏出来给她看,然后摔门而去。是这样吗?
niki: how did you know that?
妮基:你是怎么知道的?
ken: that's what i'm going to talk with you.lillian told me everything that happened with you. she felt very sorry and wanted to apologize to you. she didn't come because she knew you must be very angry with her.
肯:这正是要跟你谈的。莉莲把你们之间发生的事都告诉我了,她感到很抱歉,想向你道歉。她没来是因为她知道你一定非常生气。
niki: of course i'm angry.
妮基:我当然生气了。
ken: so she expressed her apology through me. she said she was too anxious at that time and hoped you could forgive her.
肯:所以她想通过我来表达歉意。她说当时太着急了,希望你能原谅她。
niki: ok, i forgive her for the sake that we are best friends.
妮基:好吧,看在我们是最好朋友的份上,就原谅她了。
notes
1. piss off 使厌烦,使生气;滚开
2. cool down 平静下来;冷却,变凉
3. handbag [?h?ndb?g] n.(女用)手提包,手提袋
4. slam [sl?m] v. 砰地关上(门或窗);n. 猛然关闭的声音
5. apologize [??p?l?d?aiz] v. 道歉
6. apology [??p?l?d?i] n. 道歉;认错,愧悔
7. for the sake 为了,为了……起见,看在……的份上
小贴士
anger can hurt your relationships with friends and relatives as well as your health. but rage can be reined in if you can do these.
生气会伤害你和亲朋好友之间的感情,对你的健康也无益。但是如果你能做到这些,你就能克制住发脾气。
1. adjust your attitude. don't always think the annoying things.
改变看法,不要总想那些惹人生气的事。
2. laugh away annoyances 一笑置之
3. breathe deeply 深呼吸
4. count 1 to 10 从1数到10
5. postpone your anger 忍耐
6. be forgiving 学会宽容
激动人心的时刻
dialogue
simon got a bonus from his company for his hardworking. he bought a new car with the bonus.
西蒙因为努力工作得到了公司发的一笔奖金。他用这笔奖金买了一辆车。
ann: honey, why do you come back so late today?
安:亲爱的,今天怎么回来这么晚?
simon: because something unusual has happened today. look at this.
西蒙:因为今天发生了不寻常的事情。看看这个。
ann: it's a key. is there any special?
安:是一把钥匙,有什么特别的吗?
simon: it's the key of the car which belongs to us. i bought a car and drove home.
西蒙:这是我们自己的车的钥匙。我买了一辆车开回来了。
ann: is it real? where's the car?
安:真的?车在哪儿呢?
simon: just look out of the window. the white one.
西蒙:看看窗外,那辆白色的。
ann: wow, i see a white santana. you are so great! how did you get the money to buy it?
安:喔,我看到一辆白色的桑塔纳。你真是太棒了!你从哪儿弄的钱买到的?
simon: i was elected as the annual model worker in the company and got the highest bonus. i knew that we lacked nothing but a car. so i bought it without hesitation.
西蒙:我被公司评为年度劳动模范,拿到了最高奖金。我知道咱们什么都不缺,只缺一辆汽车。所以我毫不犹豫就买下了。
ann: i can't wait to take a ride outside with the car. let's go to the center mall to buy something, ok?
安:我迫不及待要开车出去兜风了。我们去购物中心买东西好吗?
simon: no problem, honey. and you have a new mission from today.
西蒙:没问题,亲爱的。从今天起你有一个新任务了。
ann: what is it?
安:什么?
simon: to get a driving license.
西蒙:考驾驶执照。
notes
1. unusual [?n?ju:?u?l] adj. 罕有的,异乎寻常的,独特的;与众不同的
2. belong [bi?l??] v. 属于,是……的成员;应被放在,应归入;适应,合得来
3. annual [??nju?l] adj. 年度的,一年一次的;n. 一年生植物;年刊,年报,年鉴
4. annual model worker 年度劳动模范
5. bonus [?b?un?s] n. 奖金,红利;额外令人高兴的事情
6. hesitation [?hezi?tei??n] n. 犹豫,踌躇
7. take a ride 兜风
8. driving license 驾驶执照
小贴士
表达“激动”的地道短语:
1. get a kick out of 感到愉快,使兴奋
he gets a kick out of funny movies.
看电影让他觉得很兴奋。
2. make one's spine tingle 使大为激动
having got the yearning sports car at last makes his spine tingle.
终于得到渴望的跑车让他特别激动。
3. be in a flap 在激动中,慌作一团
the audiences are still in a flap though his speech has ended for an hour.
尽管他的演讲已经结束一个小时了,观众仍然还很激动。
4. be going nuts 激动得不得了
the fans are going nuts. their team just won the game.
球迷们激动不已,他们的球队赢了!
我的心在等待
dialogue
david's company is going to organize a visit to the disneyland in hong kong.
戴维的公司要组织一次到香港迪士尼乐园的游玩。
david: the stuff in my office will pay a visit to the disneyland in hong kong. i can't be happier.
戴维:我们办公室全体职员要去香港迪士尼乐园游玩。我太兴奋了。
grace: wow, it's a wonderful amusement park. i have been yearning for there for a very long time. when will you set out?
格雷丝:喔,那是个很不错的游乐园。我对那里期待很久了。你们什么时候出发?
david: on friday afternoon. the flight will leave on 3 o'clock that day. i can't wait to get there now.
戴维:星期五下午3点的飞机。我现在都迫不及待要去了。
grace: is this your boss's idea?
格雷丝:是你老板的想法吗?
david: yes, our team has gained a substantial profit successively in the last months, and we all feel exhausted and need to have a good rest. so the boss came up with this great idea.
戴维:是的。我们团队在过去几个月连续取得了可观的效益。我们也都很累了,需要好好休息一下。所以老板就想出了这个绝妙的主意。
grace: excellent, you and your team deserve a good fun for the value you have created.
格雷丝:太棒了,你和你的团队创造了价值,应该好好玩一下。
david: thanks for your saying. it's good to strike a proper balance between work and rest.
戴维:谢谢你这么说。还是劳逸结合比较好。
grace: is it admittable to join the travel as your friend? i'm eager to go there, too.
格雷丝:可以以你朋友的身份加入旅行吗?我也很想去那儿。
david: sorry, it is just an activity held within our team, but taking family members is permitted.
戴维:不好意思,这是我们团队内部举行的一次活动,但是家属一同去还是允许的。
grace: and how about i act as your girlfriend to go there?
格雷丝:那我扮成是你女朋友怎么样?
david: come on, you got to be kidding me.i think you will have a chance in the future.
戴维:别这样,你真会开玩笑。我想你以后会有机会的。
notes
1. amusement [??mju:zm?nt] adj. 娱乐,乐趣;娱乐活动,文娱活动
2. yearn [j?:n] v. 渴盼,切盼,向往
3. substantial [s?b?st?n??l] adj. 坚固的,结实的;大量的,可观的;重大的,重要的;实质的;基本的,大体上的
4. successively [s?k?sesivli] adv. 连续地,相继地
5. come up with 想出
6. value [?v?lju] n. 价值,价格;重要性;价值观;职业道德;v. 估价;重视;尊重
7. admittable [?d'mit?bl] adj. 允许的;有进入资格的
8. permit [p??mit] v. 允许,许可;n. 许可,许可证,执照
小贴士
1. i'm itching to see my parents. we haven't met for three years.
我已经迫不及待要见我的父母了,我们已经三年没见了。
2. i can't wait to see it.
我迫不及待要看。
3. i can hardly wait to see them!
我迫不及待地想要见到他们。
4. my heart itches for the travel to beijing already.
我对这次的北京之旅已经迫不及待了。
5. the colleagues are champing to start.
同事们迫不及待地要出发。
6. my children fell over backwards to get the party ready.
孩子们迫不及待地为聚会作准备。
7. hold on a minute. you're jumping the gun.
再等等。你太心急了。
用人不疑
dialogue
kent and nick are talking about their company's personnel changes.
肯特和尼克正在讨论公司的人事变动情况。
kent: henry was appointed as the sales manager yesterday.
肯特:亨利昨天升职做销售经理了。
nick: i've heard about it. it is out of my expectation. he has just been transferred to the sales department for several weeks. but he is the manager now.
尼克:我听说了,我真感到意外。他才被调到销售部门几个星期,但现在都是经理了。
kent: his promotion is so quick. he must have a very strong ability on marketing.
肯特:他升迁得这么快,一定在营销方面有很强的能力。
nick: there are also demotions in our company. the manager of the financial department was changed two months ago.
尼克:我们公司也有降职的情况。财务部门的经理两个月前被换掉了。
kent: the personnel system of our company is fair. the more capable you are, the higher position you will have.
肯特:我们公司的人事制度相当公平。你的能力越高,职位就越高。
nick: what's your plan of your promotion,kent?
尼克:你有什么升迁计划呢,肯特?
kent: i don't have any plan for the moment. i think what i should do now is to get the work done well within my duty.
肯特:我目前还没有什么计划。我想现在应该做的是把职责内的事情做好。
nick: yes, i agree with you. success comes from hard work.
尼克:是的,我同意。成功来自于刻苦工作。
notes
1. appoint [??p?int] v. 任命,委派;确定,指定,约定
2. expectation [?ekspek?tei??n] n. 预料,期望,有信心的指望
3. transfer [tr?ns?f?:] v. 转移,迁移;转让;n. 转移,转让;换乘,改变路线
4. promotion [pr??m?u??n] n. 提升,晋级;宣传,推销
5. demotion [di'm?u??n] n. 降级
6. personnel [?p?:s??nel] n.(总称)人员,员工,人事部门
7. personnel system 人事制度
8. for the moment 目前,暂时
小贴士
we often practice a skeptical attitude towards ourselves or others consciously or unconsciously. self-skepticism is the sign of lacking confidence while doubting others is due to the lack of trust in them. we would never imagine the skepticism would lead some astoundingly negative consequences. self-skepticism would discourage our inner confidence and torture us in the shadow of failure, while doubting others would make us feel lack of security and live in the state of danger presumed by ourselves.
我们常常自觉或者不自觉地怀疑自己、怀疑别人。怀疑自己是缺乏自信的表现,而怀疑别人很多时候是因为缺少信任,殊不知这种怀疑常常会导致我们意想不到的恶果。怀疑自己导致我们内心受挫,总是生活在失败的阴影里;怀疑别人则让我们缺乏安全感,总是生活在自己假想的危险中。
焦虑担心最不值
dialogue
may looks in a bad mood.
梅看起来情绪不是很好。
jenny: you look not good today. are you sick?
珍妮:今天你看起来不太好。生病了吗?
may: no, i'm fine, just feel a little worried.
梅:没有,我很好,只是感觉有点担心。
jenny: what do you worry?
珍妮:你担心什么呢?
may: the manager always shouted at me when i talked to him. i think he must be very unsatisfied with me.
梅:我和经理说话时他总是朝我大吼,我想他一定是对我很不满。
jenny: well, take it easy. i even can't count the times that he has yelled at me. sometimes he's just in a bad mood.
珍妮:嗯,把心放宽点。我甚至都数不清楚他吼过我多少次了。他有时只是心情不好。
may: hope he will not fire me.
梅:希望他不会炒我鱿鱼。
jenny: no, you have done your work very well. he will not dismiss you. you will be accustomed to it if you get familiar with his temperament.
珍妮:不会,你工作做得很出色,他不会解雇你的。熟悉他的脾气以后,你就会习惯的。
may: oh, i see.
梅:哦,我知道了。
jenny: my suggestion is that the most important thing is to concentrate yourself on your job now, and anything else is secondary.
珍妮:我的建议是,现在最重要的是把精力集中在工作上,其他的任何事情都是次要的。
may: i see, thank you, jenny.
梅:我明白了!多谢你,珍妮。
notes
1. shout at sb. 朝某人大吼,大声嚷嚷
2. count [kaunt] v. 数,点……的数目,计算;把……算入;看作;n. 计数,总数;事项;罪状
3. yell [jel] v. 喊叫,嚎叫;大声说;n. 叫喊,号叫
4. mood [mu:d] n. 心情,情绪;语气
5. be accustomed to 习惯于
6. temperament [?temp?r?m?nt] n. 性格,性情;气质
7. concentrate [?k?ns?ntreit] v. 专心于,注意;集中,聚集
8. concentrate on 专心于,把思想集中于
小贴士
1. i'm insecure about my future.
我对我的将来有些茫然。
2. i'm uneasy about the future.
我为前途担忧。
3. there's deep anxiety among graduates about their future jobs.
大学毕业生对他们将来的工作都很忧虑。
4. she sounded very agitated on the phone.
电话中她听起来十分焦虑。
5. the bride got cold feet just before the wedding and run off.
就在婚礼开始之前,新娘有些退缩,溜走了。
6. this makes me very nervous.
这件事让我非常焦虑不安。
灰心失望终有时
dialogue
peter meets some difficulties in his work. h feels a little disappointed.
彼得在工作中遇到了一些困难,他有些灰心。
peter: today is july 25th, almost the end of this month. i haven't received any order till now. it's not a good end.
彼得:今天是7月25号,快到月末了。我到现在还没接到任何订单。这样的结果可不妙。
jack: don't worry. maybe you can receive one in the next minute.
杰克:别担心。说不定下一分钟你就能接到一个。
peter: the pressure is too much for me. i have been eager to find a client for the whole month.
彼得:我的压力太大了。一整月了,我都渴望能找到一个客户。
jack: just relax, man. i have the same feeling with you every month. we all have tried our best for it. but sometimes it needs opportunity.
杰克:放轻松点,伙计。我每个月都有和你一样的感觉。我们都很努力了,但有时候是需要机遇的。
peter: what about your achievement? do you have any orders?
彼得:你的业绩怎么样?有订单吗?
jack: i had a deal of 0.5 million yuan last week with an australian client.
杰克:我上一周和一个澳大利亚的客户谈成了一笔50万的订单。
peter: you are great. i think you are good at this job.
彼得:你真棒。我想你很擅长这份工作。
jack: i just received this order by chance on the internet. so just be confident, with your effort, sooner or later you'll have your orders.
杰克:我只是在网上偶然接到这笔订单的。所以自信一点,只要努力,或早或晚你都会有订单的。
peter: yeah, hoping the good fortune will always be on our side.
彼得:对,希望好运会一直陪伴我们。
notes
1. order [??:d?] n. 次序,顺序;整齐,有条理;治安,秩序;命令,嘱咐;订购,订货,订单;汇票;v. 命令,嘱咐;订购,定制;整理,布置
2. client [?klai?nt] n. 委托人;顾客,常客
3. opportunity [??p??tju:niti] n. 机会,时机
4. achievement [??t?i:vm?nt] n. 成就,成绩,功绩;达到,完成
5. fortune [?f?:t??n] n. 机会,运气,转机;前途,命运;事情,转变;庞大的财富,财产
小贴士
1. i didn't get a promotion. what a disappointment!
我没有得到提升,真让人失望!
2. what a let down!
这真令人扫兴。
也可以这样说:
this is disappointing.
3. you disappointed me.
你真让我失望。
也可以这样说:
you let me down.
4. keep your chin up!
振作点!
也可以这样说:
cheer up!
pluck up your spirits!
5. the result of the interview is frustrating to me.
面试的结果令我灰心透了。
6. you should not lose your hope. it's only a mistaken decision. try to lick your wonders.
你不应该灰心,那只是一次决策失误。试试重整旗鼓,努力东山再起。
如何排解厌恶之情
dialogue
tim is much tired of his job now.
提姆现在特别厌倦自己的工作。
tim: i can't bear this boring job. every day i do the same thing, just like a robot.
提姆:我忍受不了这种枯燥的工作了。每天我都像一个机器人一样做着同样的工作。
mike: i think it requires only the specialists like you to do this kind of professional job. many people are admiring your job.
迈克:我觉得这种专业的工作只能由你这样的专家来做。很多人都羡慕你的工作。
tim: but i like the life with joy and passion.i feel that i will become a fool if things go on like this every day.
提姆:但是我喜欢有趣和充满激情的生活。如果每天这样下去,我感觉自己会变成一个傻子。
mike: why not widen your life after work?
迈克:为什么不在下班后拓展你的生活呢?
tim: i don't know what i should do after work. do you have any suggestions, mike?
提姆:我不知道下班后该做什么。你能给一些建议吗,迈克?
mike: you can go to the fitness club, to do exercise there to keep healthy. and also you can play ball games there like billiards and ping-pong.
迈克:你可以去健身俱乐部,通过锻炼来保持健康。你也可以在那里玩球类游戏,像台球、乒乓球等。
tim: sounds like a good idea. it's really a healthy choice.
提姆:听起来是个不错的主意,确实是个健康的选择。
mike: yeah, it's better than just having fun in the bar.
迈克:是啊,比只在酒吧里玩乐要好。
tim: shall we go there together after work today?
提姆:我们今天下班后一起去好吗?
mike: sure, i have a member card in the fitness club near our company.
迈克:当然,我有公司附近一家健身俱乐部的会员卡。
notes
1. boring [?b?:ri?] adj. 无趣的,单调的,乏味的
2. specialist [?spe??list] n. 专家,行家;专科医生
3. professional [pr??fe??n?l] adj. 职业的,专业的,内行的;有意的,故意的;n. 具有某专业资格的人,专业人士,专家,职业选手
4. admire [?d?mai?] v. 赞赏,钦佩,称赞,夸奖
5. billiards [?bilj?dz] n. 台球
小贴士
办公室里哪些人最不受欢迎?
1. gossipers were the number one pet peeve.
喜欢说闲言碎语的人是最讨人厌的。
2. the broken clock
慢条斯理者
they're routinely late for everything, including work.
他们做什么都往后拖,包括工作。
3. coworkers who mess up communal spaces.
弄脏办公场所的人。
4. coworkers who crack loud jokes, chew gum or clank spoons in coffee cups and so on.
那些大声说笑话、嚼口香糖或者用力地搅拌咖啡杯之类的人。
5. brown-nose
喜欢拍马屁的人
骄傲使人落后
dialogue
susan's colleague got the same bonus with her. she shows some dissatisfaction with that.
苏珊的同事得到的奖金和她的一样多,她有些不满。
susan: ann's bonus is almost the same with mine. i have been working here for 2 years, while she's just a green hand here. it's not fair to me.
苏珊:安的奖金几乎和我的一样多。我在这儿工作有两年了,而她只是个新手。这对我来说不公平。
alisa: in fact, she has no less experience than you on this job.
艾丽莎:实际上,她对这份工作的经验并不比你少。
susan: really? i can see no sign of cleverness from her.
苏珊:真的吗?我并没有看出她有多聪明。
alisa: you shouldn't judge a person by his appearance. the most important thing is the value one can create.
艾丽莎:人不可貌相。最重要的是一个人能创造价值。
susan: well, it seems that my creation is much more than her.
苏珊:那我创造的东西好像比她要多出很多。
alisa: last month she put forward two suggestions of improvement to our manager. and the profit of our company has increased 5% than the usual time after utilizing her suggestions.
艾丽莎:上一个月她向咱们经理提了两条改进建议。采纳她的建议后,我们公司的效益比平常增长了5个百分点。
susan: really? i have never heard of it.
苏珊:真的吗?我从没听说啊。
alisa: the company needs the hardworking persons like you, but it also lacks for the joining of innovative persons. i think you two should help each other and learn from each other in the working.
艾丽莎:公司需要你这样刻苦能干的人,但是也很需要创新型员工的加入。我想你们在以后的工作中应该互相帮助,互相学习。
susan: ok, thanks for your advice.
苏珊:好的,多谢你的建议。
notes
1. no less than不少于,不亚于
2. creation[kri?ei??n] n. 创造,创建,创造物;作品;产物;宇宙,天地万物
3. put forward提出,提议
4. utilize[?ju:tilaiz] v. 利用,使用,运用
5. innovative[?in?uveitiv] adj. 新发明的,新引进的,革新的;有改革精神的,乐于引进新观念的
6. innovative person创新型人才
小贴士
1. that guy is always wise about his own conceit.
那个家伙总是自认为聪明。
2. he's an arrogant little twit!
他是个自高自大的傻瓜!
3. pride goes before, and shame comes after.
骄傲使人落后,虚心使人进步。
4. he is bloated with pride.
他骄傲自大。
也可以这样说:
pride swells his heart.
he is big with pride.
5. he that is proud eats up himself.
骄傲的人常沉迷于自我。
6. i have been pride of you.
我一直为你骄傲。
7. he is too proud to take notice of others in our company.
他在公司里很高傲,不理睬别人。
8. it's arrogant of you to say you can finish the plan on time without any hands.
你自以为能独自按时完成这份企划案,未免太自大了。